KidSport Ontario is one of the beneficiaries of the 2015 Bay Street Hoops tournament. Through your involvement you are helping kids gain access to sport.
Here are 5 things you need to know about KidSport Ontario
1. Who We Are
KidSport™ Ontario was launched in 2000 by Sport Alliance Ontario to ensure that organized sport is accessible to under-resourced children and youth across the province by removing the financial barriers. Since that time, KidSport Ontario has assisted more than 19,000 under-resourced kids play a season of sport, by providing over $3.9M in grants for registration and sports equipment.
KidSport is a Canadian grass roots non-profit organization that operates in all 10 provinces, 1 territory, and over 175 communities.
2. What We Do
KidSport Ontario increases accessibility to organized sport for under-resourced kids by:
- Providing grants to individual families for registration and sport equipment costs
- Advocating on behalf of the importance of sport to kids and communities
- Providing local sport introduction opportunities for kids to discover their athletic passion
- Building key athlete, corporate and community relationships that increase sport opportunities
3. Why We Do It
KidSport Ontario believes that no kid should be left on the sidelines and all should be given the opportunity to experience the positive benefits of organized sport.
The following benefits are intrinsic to regular physical activity and sport participation:
- Social and Life Skills Development
- Physical Health
- Mental Health
- Academic Success
- Community Development
- Cultural Integration
With 1 in 3 Canadian families unable to afford the costs of organized sport for their kids, KidSport works to ensure that ALL kids get the chance to enjoy these benefits. Playing sports should be every child’s right.
4. So ALL Kids Can Play!
There are many ways that you can get involved with KidSport Ontario, but here are two GREAT options:
- Apply for a KidSport Grant to assist with the cost of registration or sports equipment for your child.
- Support KidSport’s mission by sponsoring, playing in or volunteering at the 2015 Bay Street Hoops basketball tournament.
5. Impact of Bay Street Hoops
Bay Street Hoops’ support has greatly assisted KidSport in increasing the number of kids in need who have been provided a season of sport in Toronto. Since becoming a beneficiary of the tournament in 2012, KidSport has expanded the reach of its grant program in the city by more 125%. That growth is represented by the over 800 kids that have been provided more than $200,000 in KidSport Grants to assist with sport costs during that time. The Bay Street Hoops tournament has been a key partner in that growth. Particularly with the sport of basketball, as each year more and more kids want to play the game.
KidSport is very grateful to Bay Street Hoops and its sponsors and supporters. We are looking forward to another successful event in 2015, so that more deserving kids have the opportunity to play sport.
To find out more ways to get involved visit www.kidsport.ca/ontario.
Author: David Carr-Harris
Manager – KidSport Ontario